2016 Australian Bicycle Summit & Parliamentary Dinner
Australian bicycle organisations and industry leaders came together again in Canberra for the national Bicycle Summit on Wednesday, 16th March.
The Summit is the key opportunity every year for Australian cycling organisations to build consensus for a unified approach to federal government and advocate directly to Ministers, Shadow Ministers and Parliamentarians for a national agenda for cycling. Supported by industry leaders and national peak bodies from public transport, health, property, local government and planning sectors this is a key event for cycling advocacy each year.
- Presentation of bicycle sectors national platform for the 2016 Federal Election campaign - for details see the Australian Bicycle Summit page here.
- Ministerial Key Note Address - Hon Angus Taylor MP, Assistant Minister for Cities and Digital Transformation.
- Principal Key Note Address - Ms Shellie Pfohl, US President Obama appointee and Executive Director of the President's Council for Fitness, Sports and Nutrition.
- Hosted by the Co-Chairs of the Parliamentary Friendship Group for Better Cities, Trent Zimmerman MP, Andrew Giles MP and Senator Janet Rice.
- 2016 Cycling Luminaries Awards announced, see more information here: cyclingawards.com.au
Ministerial Key Note Address - Hon Angus Taylor MP
Principal Key Note Address - Ms Shellie Pfohl, Executive Director, US President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition
Co-Chairs, Andrew Giles MP and Trent Zimmerman with Shadow Attorney-General, Hon Mark Dreyfus QC MP
For more details see the Australian Bicycle Summit page here.
Parliamentary Friends of Better Cities - launch of 2015 national Active Travel Report & Key Note Address by A/Prof Matt Burke
Mural Hall, Parliament House
Key Note Address video + CPF/Heart Foundation Report launch video, links below.
The Cycling Promotion Fund launched the 2015 Investment in Active Travel Report to a large audience of Senators and MPs in Parliament. It was part of the Parliamentary Friends of Better Cities event which the CPF supports with 12 national peak groups. Our 2015 Report is the fifth annual survey conducted in Partnership with the Heart Foundation on national attitudes and barriers to active travel.
Below: Co-Chairs of Better Cities group, Jane Prentice MP, Andrew Giles MP, Senator Janet Rice (deputising for Adam Bandt MP), with the reps from 12 national peak organisations.
Above: A/Prof Matt Bourke in the middle of a very entertaining speech on the value of active travel.
VIDEO: Associate Professor Matt Burke's speech in Parliament can be viewed here.
REPORT: download the 2015 Cycling Promotion Fund/Heart Foundation survey report here.
MEDIA: read the joint Heart Foundation - Cycling Promotion Fund media release here.
VIDEO: watch CPF's launch of the Report here.
Above: Stephen Hodge launches the 2015 survey report in Parliament.
The Australian Bicycle Summit - Canberra, 3-4 March 2015
The Cycling Promotion Fund
Making our communities more cycle friendly can help Australians fight climate change, address the obesity epidemic, reduce congestion and make our cities more liveable and of course help many people realize just how much fun riding a bike is.